Ivah Ruth Aspegren Memorial Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship honors Ivan Ruth Aspegren for her lifelong contribution to nurturing, mentoring, and teaching. Born circa 1900 and raised a Kansas farm girl, Ivah pursued a teaching career in a one-room school house. She had a joy of learning and loved sharing it with her students. Left as a single mom at an early age, Ivah traveled to the West Coast to make a new life for herself and her daughter. She worked a variety of retail jobs before abandoning her work life in her mid-forties to devote full time to raising her granddaughter in Riverside, CA.
Though not formally credentialed, at heart Ivah was a teacher. Her subjects were many: reading, cooking, sewing, music, animal husbandry, gardening. She willingly shared her skills, wisdom, and experience with friends, neighbors, children, those in need and all who were interested. Her life exemplified self-sacrifice, integrity, honesty, compassion, selflessness, and love of learning.
• Student must be an incoming, continuing or transferring Riverside City College student in good standing.
• Student must demonstrate financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.
• Student must be a re-entry student (previously enrolled in college and returning to college after some time away) OR a non-traditional student (attending college for the first time but not right out of high school)
• Students’ scholarship application responses must evidence their intention to pursue a career in the field of Education.
• Student must be enrolled in one of the following Early Childhood Education Certificate programs:
o Early Childhood Education Assistant Teacher=6-units/CE795
o Early Childhood Education/12 Core Units=12-units/CE797
o Infant/Toddler Specialization=12-units/CE681
o Early Childhood Education=31-units/CE544
o Early Childhood Intervention Assistant=31-units/CE601
o Education Paraprofessional (K-12 Teacher’s Aide)=30-units/CE603